Sunday, January 9, 2011

Feeling kinda Retro, baby!

So...are you a scrapbooker? What made you start scrapbooking? When did you start? As for me, I started scrapbooking because my friend Cindy scrapbooked. (I call her "My person of blame.") She didn't know that her influence was going to lead me down a dangerous path of addiction, sticker sneezing, impulse purchasing, and darn near HOARDING in my house! She thought she was helping me to journal the everyday events in my life. Thankfully, I do that too, so Cindy is off the hook for the rest.

I started scrapbooking in about 2001, but my first "official" scrapbook album was the story of how my husband and I met and our wedding. In hindsight, that might have been a bit of a big topic to undertake when I was a newbie, but it also gives me a good chuckle to see what kind of pages I made.

Now, I'm going out on a limb here, posting a pic from the FIRST page of the FIRST album I ever did...be gentle! In all honesty, the first page isn't too bad. For some reason, I won't post the really, really bad ones...

Ha! See? I'm still laughing... OK, here's a breakdown of what you see: First of all, the album is set up like a fairy tale story, so I titled my book "Once upon a time," and wrote about a prince and a princess and other bad ideas.

The green grass and title are made from CONSTRUCTION PAPER! Seriously. I think at the time my friends said things like, "You know, you should use acid-free paper." They were right, but I wasn't listening. Construction paper was cheap! The castle on the left is a very large diecut, and embellished only slightly by the dragon sticker I put in the lower right corner. As you can see, there are other, quite random, stickers sneezed across the page: a frog, Cinderella, a knight and princess, all placed wherever I thought there was a blank spot. :) I even used decorative scissors to cut the mat around Cinderella and Prince Charming! The final detail you need to know, and I discovered when I pulled the page out to take its picture, was that I used a glue stick to adhere everything to the page. Sigh...

Now that I've opened myself up, let's talk about it. Obviously, the style isn't important. I had fun, and it does set a theme, and the story is in the album, which is the goal after all. However, I probably could have listened to friends and scrapbook store employees a little better and followed their advice about acid free paper and a more permanent adhesive. Things are falling apart on this page, and it's only 8-9 years old. The construction paper hasn't faded...yet, but we all know it will.

I'd like to hear/see some of your less-than-proud moments in papercrafting. Ever send a card postage due? Ever have one fall apart upon the recipient's opening? Have a sticker sneeze page of your own? C'mon...out with it! Let's hear it!

9 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! 'Nuf said :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first scrapbook was about 12 years ago when we remodeled my first store. I used a lot of die cuts and stamps, of course, but the biggest, and most embarrassing part is that I did not know how to take the album apart so I decorated the pages while they were still in there. So, I only used one side of the page. The back or left side of all the pages are blank. I was only selling the card making supplies back then. I did not sell scrapbooking supplies until later when I knew more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first year I made all my graduation cards, still with a lot to learn, I was so excited for my niece to open hers and be impressed and amazed by my effort and talent. It was not to be; she opened the card, part of the front fell off in her hand, but it didn't matter. She grabbed the money out of it and tossed the card (and it's loose parts) into the box that held all the rest of the empty congratulations. Come to think of it, I didn't get a thank-you from her, either...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first page was one that I created at a class. Every photo had a triangle behind or near it and I definitely sneezed stickers all over the place b/c I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing! I didn't do another page for about 10 years, when I started a baby book for my first son. I received a baby book scrapbooking set (thank you Beth Buss) and since then there has been no looking back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are GREAT! I'm glad to see I'm in good company. I hope more people post and share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember working on this with you. Love makes you blind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that made me laugh, Ms. Anonymous! I hope we can scrap again soon, with a bit more taste, perhaps... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah you could probably spray an acid free spray on it now to keep it from fading but I remember you working on that album!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You all know you can send me a pic of YOUR first album pages, and I'd be happy to post them...

    ReplyDelete